"A champion needs to acquire a taste of defeat, in order to hunger for, and truly appreciate the sweet taste of victory..!"

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Project Safety Race Car Conversion


Hey everyone I hope you had a great weekend and good start of the week!
So I'm back on the mission again early this morning and thought I'd give a little break down as to what the agenda is looking like for this week and what necessary modifications are going to need to be made to turn an illegal street car into a full track legal race car.

I'll first start off by telling you guys what class my car will be classified in as well as what and who I will be racing against and why.  The class I will be racing will be the ST2 class (which is short for super touring 2) which is the "slower" of the two unlimited class's.  The NASA racing club offers 2 different groups of unlimited cars, (unlimited meaning your able to change and modify things on the car to a certain Extent.) which are the ST1 & ST2 class's.  The way the cars are then calculated and categorized is by using a mathematic formula to find out the power to weight ratio of the car as well as certain additional points added for specific modifications. So To qualify to race in the ST2 class your car has to have a power to weight ratio of 8:1 ( meaning for every 8 pounds the car weighs i can only have 1 horse power.)  or for ST1 you can have it be as low as 5:1, and anything else is just unlimited and falls into the run what you brung Super Unlimited where every option is open based upon how much money you want/have to spend.

Now in a nut shell my car is going to have to be at a race weight of between 3,000-3,300lbs while making around 400 horse power to all 4 wheels in order for me to classify as an ST2 car.  The cars I'll be hunting are all high horsepower extensively modified race cars and the majority of them are Corvette's, Vipers, Evo's, STI's... Ect....
So I know Ill definitely have my work cut out for me, but I'v always loved the chase and have never feared a challenge, that just means I gotta catch on quick to be the one making them catch up.! Lol
Slowly but surly I'll make my goals clear early! (:

So What we now have planned and are going to begin to do today is just lightly safety prep the car so I am able to at least go out and get sometime on the track and acquire my racing license for next season.
I drew up these plans last night of the harness bar my pops and I are going to begin fabricating today so I'm able to mount my safety harnesses in and also save me about $400-$500, so that's always nice! ((:  The harness bar will just be a temporary fix until I get my full cage in the car so I think the design should work for the time being.. Most are made with tubing benders but I modified my design a little to accommodate the tools and materials I have access to being that I don't have a tubing bender. 

This is basically what one looks like...

And this is the one I drew up last night to Improvise...

I drew these designs on a wanna be CAD app on my iPad that im still trying to figure out, so sorry if there a little rough and not exactly accurately drawn but I figured they would show a decent enough example of what were going to buid.

After we get the bar all mocked up and fabricated we are going to begin tearing out the stock seats and interior to begin the completion from a street car to a track car.  Once we get the car all stripped were then going to begin putting in my new racing seat, mount up my harness bar, strap up my harness's and then go take her for a test ride to see how things fit! ;)

I'll post pictures and an update on how things are coming along later on this week and hopefully that harness bar will workout!(; Lol I'm going to look for a track day to hopefully go and do as soon as possible as well once the car is done, so once I figure that out I'll let you guys know.. ((:

Thank you all again for reading and I can't wait to show you how things look when there done!

Have a great day & stay blessed!(:

-*Keep Em Spinnin*-

No comments:

Post a Comment